Charleston, SC Surrounding Areas, Daniel Island
Daniel Island was once home to a Native American tribe called the Etiwan. Later the port city of Charles Town was established here by English settlers. Plantations soon started popping up when the settlers realized that the island's fertile soil was perfect for farming. In 1947 the island was purchased by Harry Frank Guggenheim and turned into a hunting preserve and cattle ranch. Guggenheim created a foundation, and when he died the island's ownership passed to it. In 1997, the Daniel Island Company bought the island for development.