Charleston Insider's Guide > Attractions & Tours > Houses and Plantations > Edmonston-Alston House
21 East Battery St.
Charles Edmonston, a merchant in the early 1800's, built the Edmonston-Alston House in 1825. It was the first residential building to be constructed on the High Battery and overlooks the Charleston Harbor. The house was later purchased in 1838 by Charles Alston, a rice planter from Georgetown County. Originally constructed as a Regency-style home, Alston modified the estate in a Greek Revival-style. The property remained in the Alston family for more than one hundred and fifty years. This prime example of a planter's townhouse exhibits family treasures including original furniture, tableware, and Alston's library. An outbuilding on the property once used to house the servants who maintained the estate, now offers Charleston's visitors a luxurious opportunity to stay in this one-of-a-kind bed and breakfast.
Questions about Charleston?
Visit our forums!